Recycled Packaging Butterfly Necklace
Here's a great project to up cycle some of the beautiful and festive packaging you get during the holidays. You can leave the packaging as is, and just cover it in gloss, or you can add rhinestones, pearls and micro-beads for different effects.
- Colorful Packaging (cardstock)
- Red and clear glass beads (of your choice)
- Pearl cabochons
- Glossy Accents
- Jump rings
- Butterfly Punch
- Small Hole Punch
- Round Nose Pliers
- Wire Cutters
- Flat Nose Pliers
- Bent Nose Pliers
- Cut out a butterfly shape from the packaging using a butterfly punch. Use the small hole punch to make a hole in one wing.
- Coat the shape with Glossy Accents, front and back. Let each side dry before applying a coat.
- To add embellishments and micro beads, add an additional coat of Glossy Accents and place rhinestones, pearls and beads where desired. Let dry
- Using the wire and beads, make coils on the wire ends as shown in the picture, string a bead onto the wire and form a loop.
- Cut a length of chain to your liking and add the pendant with a jump ring. Attach the beads using the loop.
- Attach the clasp to the ends.
- If you don't have a butterfly punch, trace out a butterfly shape onto the packaging and cut out with scissors.
- You can substitute Glossy Accents with Triple Thick.
- Use a toothpick coated with beeswax to pick up rhinestones.